Saturday, October 22, 2011

#11 - Loving My Children

Loving My Children
A resolution to train my kids in righteousness

~ True Love ~
Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one’s youth.

~ Psalm 127:4

Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
~ 1 John 3:18

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ In light of a decision you are currently facing with your child, what would differentiate a "loving" response from an "in love" one?

~ In all honesty, which do you desire more...
- To be your child's friend.
- To be your child's parent.

~ How does this affect the way you parent?

~ If you are not a parent, consider your own upbringing.  If your parents were overly indulgent, how does this affect you?  What if they were too strict?

~ The Soul Shaper ~
Thursday, October 20, 2011

As sweet and beautiful as children are, they are each born as sinners in need of being rescued from themselves.
- Keep their unruly minds from becoming the enemy's stomping grounds.
- Bend their will until it wants to follow God's ambitions for them.
- Steady their runaway emotions before they get our kids into all kinds of trouble.
- Awaken their deadened conscience so it can be led by God's Spirit when you're not around to tell them the difference between right and wrong.

I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
~ 3 John 1:4

With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
Your word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against You.
~ Psalm 119:10-11

You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
~ Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ What are some ways the soul shaper partners with God defensively?  Proactively?

~ This question is for everyone, but single mom, you especially:  Who are some people who can help walk alongside you in this highly challenging resolution?

~ Consider this:  Amelia Hudson Boomhall, a woman of the seventeenth century, was resolved to demonstrate Christian living to her children.  She said, "I made it a rule to take my children one at a time into my room and, having been careful to see that they were comfortably seated, I would say, 'I'm going to talk to Jesus.' And then before my child, I would pour out my soul to Him.  Oh, how precious are the memories of little pinafores lifted to wipe my eyes, or the sound of sweet little voices saying, 'Don't cry, Mother.'"
~ How can you creatively live your Christian life openly before your children?

~ If you are married and your spouse is not resolved to take the helm of spiritual leadership in your home, do not be discouraged and allow your children's spiritual health to flounder.  Respectfully ask him whether he'd mind if you led devotions or encouraged Scripture memory with your children.  This way he doesn't feel as if you've plowed ahead without him.


~ The Intentional Encourager ~
Friday, October 21, 2011

In that night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask what I shall give you.” Solomon said to God, “You have dealt with my father David with great lovingkindness, and have made me king in his place. Now, O LORD God, Your promise to my father David is fulfilled, for You have made me king over a people as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people, for who can rule this great people of Yours?” God said to Solomon, “Because you had this in mind, and did not ask for riches, wealth or honor, or the life of those who hate you, nor have you even asked for long life, but you have asked for yourself wisdom and knowledge that you may rule My people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge have been granted to you. And I will give you riches and wealth and honor, such as none of the kings who were before you has possessed nor those who will come after you.”
~ 2 Chronicles 1:7-12

Now it came about after this, that Nahash the king of the sons of Ammon died, and his son became king in his place.
~ 1 Chronicles 19:1

with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him
~ Ephesians 1:10

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ Record some of the unique characteristics of each of your children.  How can you call these out for specific encouragement?

~ List some of the immature actions and temperaments in them that might normally discourage you.  Keep this list in a place where you can always be reminded to pray regarding them, and consider who you can enlist to encourage your child in these areas.

~ Carefully consider how you can make the overarching tone of your relationship with your child one of the encouragement and approbation.


~ The Discipline Dealer ~
Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
~ Ephesians 6:4

If we want children...
- To be responsible, we must train them to be responsible with their chores, homework, and personal duties.
- To be considerate, we must enforce the manners we expect them to use with siblings and friends.
- To respect and submit to authority, we must make it start with how they treat us as their parents, while also letting them see us demonstrate this same principle ourselves in our home, our work, our church life, and other areas.

Review:
When you sign your name to this resolution, don't feel burdened to be perfect.  Rather, resolve to express biblical love to your children, and then consider this a starting point on that journey.  Craft a mission statement for your children, and then implement small things that will point them in that direction.  This is a resolve to see in your children the potential for true spiritual greatness and to care enough to give them what they need to achieve it.  To love them.  To really, really love them.

Loving My Children
I will demonstrate to my children how to love God with all their hearts, minds, and strength, and will train them to respect authority and live responsibly.


Note From Myself:
Reading this I have no children of my own, because I am not married.  For now I look at other families in my church to see how they demonstrate to their children how to love God with all their hearts, minds, and strength.  I also will observe how they train them to respect authority and live responsibly.  I pray that I will take what I learn from "The Resolution for Women" and mothers raising their own children to someday raise my own children when God blesses me with a family.  I love children, talking to them, playing with them, and do pray to someday have children of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my post. Please feel free to leave me a comment. I very much enjoy reading over them!

In Christ,
Tracy