Wednesday, October 26, 2011

#12 - Living With Grace

Living With Grace
A resolution to make my home a welcome place to be

~ Grace ~
Sunday, October 23, 2011

Grace: favor or kindness expressed to the undeserving.

For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
~ John 1:17

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
~ Ephesians 2:8

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ List three specific attitudes and actions that make grace palatable in someone's home life that you admire, not just in their interaction with you as company but with one another as well?

~ What do you feel will be the primary challenge for you in extending grace in your home?  Be honest with God about this.  Ask Him to "give you rest" and to let His "gentle and humble" heart be the one that comes shining through you (Matthew 11:28-29).  It's Him.  Not you.  That's why they call it grace.


~ OK ~
Monday, October 24, 2011

Sometimes when I just say, "OK," the walls come tumbling down.  Those two little letters put an end to so many arguments.  It's amazing.  Outside of calling on the name of Jesus Himself, I think this is the next most powerful word in our language."
- A thirty-one year-old woman resolved to live with grace

A gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
~ Proverbs 15:1

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ Prayerfully consider how you can apply the message of these verses in your life today:
A soothing tongue is a tree of life,
But perversion in it crushes the spirit.

- Proverbs 15:4
By forbearance a ruler may be persuaded,
And a soft tongue breaks the bone.

- Proverbs 25:15

~ Making this resolution a habit in your home will take time and practice.  Resolve to use this little word, in this simple way, as much as you can in the next forty-eight hours.  Record the impact it makes in your relationships.


~ Off Broadway ~
Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ Do you have a Broadway play in your mind?  If so, how have you seen your family negatively affected by your expectations?

~ Do you feel as though adjusting your expectations will amount to lowering them?  Why?

~ What other people, television shows, or outside influences are contributing to the fantasy world you're attempting to force-fit onto your reality?  How can you temper their effect on you?

~ If you're the one being held hostage by someone else's demands and directives, how could you respectfully communicate your concerns and feelings and carefully navigate the situation so that you can experience freedom?


~ Sabbath Spaces ~
Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Dallas/Ft. Worth Stricken with Cabin Fever."  The article went on to post the comments of local people suffering extreme bouts of claustrophobia - feeling holed up, bored, and out of touch with the world.
- "Snow.  Ice.  Single-digit temps.  Could plague of locusts be far behind?"
- "No school again tomorrow!  I think I'm going to go nuts being stuck in this house!"
- "This has ruined what was going to be a fantastic week.  And it's made me now use two of my floating holidays."
- "Well, isn't this neat . . . . All the electricity on my block just went out!  Great.  So now you can add 'trapped at home with no electricity' to the list!  Fantastic."

“Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
~ Psalm 46:10

“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
~ Exodus 20:8

Review:
As you move forward with signing this resolution, carefully consider the practical aspects of your decision.  What are some things you can begin to put in place to make grace and peace realized in your home?

Living With Grace
I will cultivate a peaceful home where everyone can sense God's presence not only through acts of love and service but also through the pleasant and grateful attitude with which I perform them.


Note From Myself:
After reading through the sections of "Living with Grace" I can start practicing how to cultivate a peaceful home where everyone can sense God's presence not only through acts of love and service, but as well through the pleasant and grateful attitude with which I perform them.  I can go about through the home cleaning and organizing little areas at a time and not trying to do everything at once.  Also take fourteen or more minutes out of my day to relax from the busyness of working and doing stuff that constantly keeps me from relaxing to where I can wear out pretty quickly.  I pray that this resolution will be a great effect in my life forever and ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my post. Please feel free to leave me a comment. I very much enjoy reading over them!

In Christ,
Tracy