Monday, October 03, 2011

#5 - My Best

My Best
A resolution to be devote myself completely to God's priorities for my life


~ Boxes ~
Friday, September 30, 2011

"To achieve balance is to consider prayerfully God's priorities for us in this current season of life and then rearrange the boxes accordingly, pushing some of them into the background, and bringing other to the front."

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ If you have a tendency to spread yourself too thinly, in what kind of state does this typically tend to leave you at the end of the day or the start of a new week?

~ Label each box with one of the different responsibilities of your life.  (Add more if you need to.) Color in each one according to the level of time and effort you invest.  Compare them and prayerfully consider if your priorities reflect God's intentions for you in this season of your life.




~ Timing is Everything ~
Saturday, October 1, 2011

“Thus says the LORD of hosts, ‘This people says, “The time has not come, even the time for the house of the LORD to be rebuilt.”’” Then the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet, saying, “Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses while this house lies desolate?”
~ Haggai 1:2-4

God wasn't concerned with what they were doing as much as when they were choosing to get it done.
- "This people say, 'The time has not come..."
- "...even the time for the house of the Lord to be rebuilt."
"Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in paneled houses while this house lies desolate?"

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ Ask a wise, honest friend who knows you well how she thinks you're managing your current priorities.

~ As you think about those things you want to do but can never seem to make time for, remember the biblical appeal that says, "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—" (Ecclesiastes 3:1). How could this deliberate act trust and perspective free you to invest yourself more joyfully in today?


~ Anything, Everything, and Whatever ~
Sunday, October 2, 2011

Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
~ 1 Corinthians 10:31

Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
~ Matthew 5:48

The biblical word perfect is to be invited into a life of wholeness and completeness.

Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
~ Colossians 3:17

What you can do is good enough.

Questions to Ask Yourself:
~ When honoring God is your focus, it pares down your purpose and narrows your focus.  Carefully reconsider this sentence in light of your own personal circumstances, then record your thoughts.

~ How does a focus on honoring God...
a.) lighten the burden of the perfectionist?
b.) inspire you to give your best effort?

~ In which tasks have you felt like your best efforts were not good enough?

~ When faced with an activity like this - on that you find particularly challenging - how are you encouraged by knowing that God will empower your efforts designed to bring Him glory?


~ It Only Works When I Breathe ~
Monday, October 3, 2011

Familiar with planes and airports... mimic the airline attendants and their pre-flight spiels:
- "Please keep your seat belt fastened while the 'Fasten Seat Blet' sign is lit."
- "Lock your tray tables and bring your eat backs to an upright position."
- "If you're seated in an emergency exit row but do not wish to perform the functions described in the event of an emergency, please ask a flight attendant to re-seat you."
- "In case of an emergency, oxygen masks will automatically drop down and appear in front of you.  If you are traveling with a child secure your own mask first, and then assist the other person."
Why adults get the mask first and not the children?

Set a timer if you have to.  But do it!
If you are going to stay sharp - keeping your oxygen levels up - you need a break every now and then.  It's not a break from your life; it's a break for your life.

"When will I put on my oxygen mask so I can ... bre-e-e-eathe?"

Review:
By signing this resolution, you are choosing not to allow perfectionism to rule your life.  You are determining, rather, to consider carefully what God has prioritized for you in this season of life, and then examine the unique qualities you've been given to bring to those tasks.  You are accepting this resolution as an invitation to become fully engaged in today's assignment and bring all yourself into every one.  You will no longer see taking care of yourself as something to be ashamed of but a requirement to enable you to better serve others.  Consider your notes from the previous chapters, and then make your resolution with confidence.

My Best
I will seek to devote the best of myself, my time, and my talents to the primary roles the Lord has entrusted to me in this phase of my life.


Note From Myself:
After reading these four sections, I really have come to realize that it does not matter how many good things or however many things I do for God, it is what I do with a good effort that counts, even if it is a few things compared to many things for God.  Everyday no matter what I am doing I need to devote my total best of myself, my time, and my talents all for the Lord.  This is my life, and God wants me to use it wisely.  If I don't get everything accomplished there is always tomorrow to work on it, if the Lord give me another day.  I will need to re-organize my schedule and everything that I do, to not overwhelm myself or get myself totally exhausted to where I don't have any energy left or where I burn myself out to where I am no good mood.  This is definitly going to be a challenge and to rethink of what I do for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my post. Please feel free to leave me a comment. I very much enjoy reading over them!

In Christ,
Tracy